Working in Malta

We’ve prepared this quick overview to help you get better acquainted with relocating to Malta for work.

A Guide to Visas and Work Permits in Malta

There are many benefits that come with moving to and working in Malta. Apart from the pleasant climate and the lure of living the island life, Malta is an EU member state with a sound economy and plenty of opportunities. The ease of getting yourself to Malta and being legally registered to live and work all depends on where you’re coming from. The aim of this guide is to give you a brief overview of the processes behind obtaining visas and work permits.

If you’re an EU citizen

If you’re an EU citizen, working in Malta is as easy as packing your bags and booking your flights. You can enter the country with your passport or ID without the need for an entry visa. You can also land yourself a job without having to go through any work permit procedures.

After working in Malta for 3 months, you will need to apply for a Maltese ID card. This card is widely used across the islands as the primary source of identification which can entitle its holder to things like public transport discounts, help them open accounts, apply for insurance and so on. You will need to apply for the Maltese Identity Card through the Expatriates Unit at Identity Malta. As an employee looking to obtain the ID card you will need the following documentation:

  • This application form
  • An original and copy of your passport or Foreign ID card
  • A copy of your work contract or the Engagement Form issued by JobsPlus

All of this also applies to anyone coming from European Economic Area (EEA) countries that are not in the European Union namely Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

If you’re a UK citizen

The European Union and the United Kingdom are currently in the “transition period” that will lead to the UK’s exit from the European Union. As it stands, any UK national who has lawful residency in Malta by the end of 2020 will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement which safeguards their residency. What will happen after the transition period and once the process is complete is still being negotiated by both parties so it is hard to say what lies in store for any British citizens looking to move to Malta (or anywhere else in the EU for that matter) post-Brexit.

That said, with Malta being a member of the Commonwealth, relations between the two countries have always been quite good and British citizens have been relocating here for generations now and vice versa.

If you’re not an EU citizen

If you are not an EU citizen the process is slightly more complicated. You can enter Malta on a typical short-stay tourist (Schengen) visa that gives you up to 90 days for tourism or business. To obtain a work permit you will need a job offer as the permits are issued based on them. For this, you will need the following documentation

  • This application form
  • This Identity Registration Form (along with a fee of €280.50)
  • Full copy of your passport (blank pages and all)
  • A covering letter from your employer
  • Any supporting documentation such as contracts, evidence of relevant commercial activity and sites of work etc
  • Your work contract
  • A description of your position filled by your employer and signed by yourself
  • Your CV
  • Proof that your new employer carried out a job search through platforms such as JobsPlus and/or local media
  • Your qualifications relevant to your job
  • A health insurance policy
  • A rental or purchase agreement on property in Malta

Should you decide to change your job while you’re here, you will need to apply for a new work visa through your new employer.

While the process and the bureaucracy of being able to legally live and work in Malta can vary from person to person depending on what passport you hold, there is a lot of information out there to help you navigate your way through this initial hurdle.

For more information about finding a job and working in Malta, check out our Working in Malta page.

We connect top-tier talent with industry leading employers.

What's your next move?